International Happiness Day was on Sunday 20th March
What does happiness mean to you?
Happiness to me is finding joy in the little things, being grateful and focusing on what we do have, not what we don't have. Building inner happiness which helps us to be more content in the present moment.
"if and when"
If I get a new car, then i'll be happy
If I get new clothes and make up, then i'll be happy
… yes these things might made you happy, but it doesn't last as long. I refer to this as fleeting happiness.
Inner happiness comes from within. It is the happiness that's not dependent on external factors in life.
1. Spend time in nature
- Get some fresh air and feed your mind, body and soul.
2. Show gratitude
- Have an attitude of gratitude. What you appreciates appreciates. Start each day with a grateful heart before you get out of bed, and before you go to sleep. This rewires your neural pathways in your brain. Gratitude has been shown to increase happiness and decrease depressive symptoms.
3. Love yourself
- Learn to accept and love yourself the way that you are. Don't compare yourself to others.
4. Focus on the present moment
- Using your senses and noticing what is going on right here, right now. Not thinking about the past, the imagined future or getting lost in thoughts.
5. Do more of what you love
- What lights you up, what could you spend hours doing everyday, what do you do that makes you lose track of time?
6. Meditate often
- Become more self-aware, learn to let things go, change your perspective on things. Such an incredible tool for building inner peace.
7. Find your purpose
- Living your purpose everyday is key to happiness. If you hate hearing the sound of your alarm clock going off in the morning, are you really doing something your passionate about, that is your purpose and reason for being? I recommend reading Ikigai.
8. Envision the very best in your life
- What do you see when you envision your best life? Make a vision board - your thoughts become your reality.
9. Journal daily
- Become more self-aware, let your thoughts out, reflect and look back on how far you have come. You can find some journal prompts on our instagram page, or we have a journal prompt booklet in our 10-week Living Mindfully course.
10. Surround yourself with good people
- Who makes you feel good? Who and what gives you energy? Who and what drains your energy? Spend time with people that fill your cup.
If you are wanting to build inner peace and happiness, message us for ideas or support, or if you want to really optimise your potential - join our Living Mindfully 10-week course.